fbpx
Share the Love this February

World Down Syndrome Day March 21st

This year on World Down Syndrome Day, we are asking supporters around the world to call for an end to stereotypes! People with Down syndrome and intellectual disabilities encounter stereotypes every day. This can lead to people with disabilities being underestimated, excluded, treated poorly, and even abused. Join us in creating a single, global voice during March by sharing the #EndTheStereotypes message and showing the world that everyone is different and has something unique to contribute.

This video includes mature language. Viewer discretion is advised.

Our negative assumptions about people with Down syndrome can lead us to treat them in such a way that these assumptions become reality. In sociology, this is called a ‘self-fulfilling prophecy.’ Why not reverse our perspectives? If we have positive assumptions about people with Down syndrome, they will have opportunities at school, at work, in relationships, and other activities. And maybe these positive assumptions will become reality. CDSS is proud to be part of this international call to End The Stereotypes. View the full campaign press release here.

#AssumeThatICan

Please join us and thousands around the world as we put an end to stereotypes to give people with Down syndrome the chance to reach their full potential.

“Some people think that people with Down syndrome can’t live ‘normal’ lives. That’s wrong! And what is ‘normal’ anyway? My life is similar to lots of my family and friends. I went to my local school, I’m involved in a local orchestra and the scouts. I am training to be a teaching assistant. All of this for me is ‘normal’, just like everyone else.”

Pearl, Switzerland

#EndTheStereotypes

World Down Syndrome Day

Events and Fundraisers

There are many ways you can raise awareness, educate the community about Down syndrome, and show your support for life-changing programs this March!

Championing Disability Inclusion in Employment the Legacy of David C. Onley

The Ontario Disability Employment Network (ODEN) is celebrating the life and legacy of the late Honourable David C. Onley. The Withrow Common Gallery at the CNE in Toronto co-organized an exhibition dedicated to the life and important advocacy work of former Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, David C. Onley to create an accessible and inclusive Ontario for people who have a disability. This exhibition is a reflection of his life and everything he represented and includes a display from CDSS featuring photos and stories of individuals with Down syndrome in the workplace. We were honoured to attend the Exhibit Opening with our Inployable partners Adecco and FCB and guests from the Down syndrome community. 

Championing Disability Inclusion in Employment - David Onley Exhibit 2024

The exhibition is open to the public March 8th – 28th, Tuesday – Saturday from 12pm to 6pm.

BU Candles and Friends Celebrate World Down Syndrome Day with a Special Handmade Candle

Entrepreneur Jacob of BU Candles and 9 community members have come together to design a special candle celebrating World Down Syndrome Day. Blue and yellow represent the Down syndrome community while the three hearts represent the triplication of the 21st chromosome. The Celebrate Down Syndrome candle comes in three scents and 21% of profits will be generously donated to Down syndrome organizations.

Rock Your Mismatched Socks on March 21st!

Help raise awareness and start conversations at school, work, and everywhere you go on March 21st! You can get a pair of CDSS mismatched socks from Friday Sock Co., and 100% of the profits will go towards programs for individuals with Down syndrome at CDSS. 

“Why do people think that people with Down syndrome can’t work? They also think we shouldn’t get paid! I work hard and I deserve to be paid.”

Muthoni, Kenya

#EndTheStereotypes

World Down Syndrome Day Resources

Help to raise awareness and combat misconceptions about life with Down syndrome. Share these social media posts, posters, and printable pages with your community.

Social Media Posts

Print and Share Posters

Down Syndrome FAQ Videos

The best way to learn about Down syndrome is by listening to self advocates! Please watch and share these answers to the most common questions asked about Down syndrome.

“I used to work at a primary school. I was hoping to help with the school newsletters on the office computer. I presented my CV to the receptionist to show her what I can do. She asked me, “Who did this for you?” I told to her I did it. She did not believe that I made the CV and she did not let me help her.”

Andrew, New Zealand

#EndTheStereotypes

World Down Syndrome Day Resources for Educators

TEACHING PLAN

This will help you lead a discussion focusing on awareness, acceptance and celebrating Down syndrome in the classroom and the community. Our teaching plan includes classroom and individual activities and includes printable handouts.

Duration: 45-60 minutes

About Down Syndrome Presentation

A great resource for WDSD and throughout the year to learn about Down syndrome and how we are more alike than we are different!

Duration: 10 minutes

Plan-d’enseignement-JMT21<br />

Présentation À propos de la trisomie 21 (Francais)

Support the Down Syndrome Community in Canada

Make a gift this March to support life-changing CDSS programs. Canadians with Down syndrome look to us every day for answers, resources, and assistance. Help us to provide the programs they need to succeed at every stage of life.